Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday Fun

Despite Friday being my day teaching the most classes, it was definitely a fun one!  It started out with an extra-early alarm setting, so we could leave for school at 6:45.  The octava class (seniors in the 8-year program) had asked us to teach them an extra conversation class, since they have a Slovak teacher instead of either of us, and they wanted some time with native speakers in preparation for the Maturita (written and oral final examinations required by the state).  They are a really busy bunch, so the only time that worked was 7:00 a.m. every other Friday morning.  It will be fun to get to know this group of students as they practice their speaking skills.  

The school day absolutely flew by, with class after class of teaching.  Last night I made a pan of Rice Krispie treats to take to the teacher work room today, and everyone loved them.  Carol had brought a bunch of cereal and marshmallows in her suitcase, so she left the extra ingredients with me to make and take to school later.  Big hit!  :-) 


I found the class book for the V's, in their room on the teacher desk., beautifully wrapped'
in the green ribbon symbolizing their graduation.  Sealing wax was used to keep the ribbon
from being opened.  It is traditional for the seniors to search for and "steal" the class book,
since no assignments can be given without a way to record the marks.  Of course now the
grades are electronic, but the lessons and attendance are still kept in the class books.
 In blue ink only!!  (The real insides to the book are elsewhere!!)

One of my V students had this mask from the other day on his desk,
so I arranged this picture as a memory of the craziness this week!  


After classes, most everyone else cleared out, and Tim and I stayed to work on lesson plans for next week.  The copy machine at school had a lot of action during the week, so we were able to use it for all our materials with no one else around late Friday afternoon!  

Then we changed into sweats and t-shirts and were picked up by Erik, one of the P.E. teachers, to go play some recreational volleyball.  Well, these folks could PLAY!!  Tim and I were not quite in their league, but there were only 9 total there including us, and they are really trying to drum up players.  It is really a fun group!  Tim and Erik stayed afterwards, as there is a men's basketball group playing now.  Erik told me they would be going to a pub afterwards, and he would see to it that Tim got home safely!  ;-)  Erik's wife drove me home, but I had her drop me at the grocery store so I could pick up a few things, then I walked home myself.  So here I am, a "Friday Night Widow", just like I would have been back in Ankeny with Tim out officiating football!!  LOL!!  And just like at home, I really don't mind having some quiet solitude after teaching all week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment