Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Tomorrow's Birthday!

Monday after we got back from Žilina, Carol stopped by for a while after her return from Bratislava.  We also had to walk uptown to pick up a few groceries, so we didn't make it to choir that night for carol rehearsal.  We skyped a little, but went to bed early - a little tired after our full weekend, late nights, and travels!  We received two boxes this week, (Tim's birthday tomorrow), and two Thanksgiving cards.  We're thankful for each precious piece of mail!     :-)   (Also a couple of birthday cards that Tim doesn't know about yet!!)  

Tuesday it was fun being back at school seeing everyone again.  Two of our colleagues celebrated their name day over the weekend, so we wished Katarina and Katka a happy day belatedly.  (You've seen pics of both of them before!!)  Eva and Tana came for English lessons at 6:00, then Eva came with us again for volleyball at school.  Lots of fun!  

Today Carol came by school to say some last good-byes before she heads back to Wisconsin tomorrow.  We signed more papers up in the business office in between classes.  After school, we went to HyperNova looking for items necessary to make Tim's favorite German Chocolate cake.  First off, I needed a mixer to beat the batter, and my pantomiming did the trick at the appliance store.  (I actually like it better than the one back in Iowa!)   

Then we searched for the ingredients to make the cake - I had looked up the recipe online.  We reached "close enough" status for everything except pecans.  I couldn't imagine making that frosting with walnuts instead, but that looked like the only option.  As we were walking through the bakery section, I noticed sweet rolls that had pecans on them, so I thought we could ask the bakers if we could just buy a cup and a half of pecans.  But of course the baker putting breads out didn't speak English, so I asked a few random young people if they did -- nie, nie.  Then three H.S. age kids, not from our school, came by, and they spoke great English.  I explained the problem, and the gal said pecans are not common in grocery stores, but were available in the health food store not far away.  She had actually been in there this morning and had seen pecans!!  And I was pleased that I knew right where the store was thanks to her directions!  

So we hustled to the store, arriving by 5:10, but it closed at 5:00.  Well there was a lady inside, so I rapped on the window, and she came and unlocked the door.  I told her I only needed ONE thing (jeden - with a thumb up), and she let us in!!  :-)   She did have pecans, so we bought enough for the frosting.  YAY!!  So many nice, helpful people here!!!

I don't have the 3 nine-inch pans, so we did the math to find the total surface area, and used two rectangular pans with the same surface area.  The cake and frosting will be a little different in taste and texture, but it will be my best Slovak effort at German Chocolate birthday cake.  I'm sure the school staff will enjoy the big one, and we'll leave a small one here for the birthday celebration tomorrow night for the two of us.  :-)   


German Chocolate cake --- Slovak style!!  So Tim had lefse for
Thanksgiving, and will have his favorite birthday cake too.   :-)
Life is good.    

2 comments: